Medium tri-color Peace Corps storage basket hand woven in Senegal. Features flat lid, handles, and stripe pattern. 19 inches high. Fair Trade. Free Shipping. ... Read more
This beautiful medium black silver & white stripe Peace Corps laundry hamper is handcrafted by a network of more than 100 rural Wolof women in Senegal, West Africa. Named after the Peace Corps volunteers that help Senegal's rural artisans organize their crafting efforts for sales and export.
- Dimensions: Highly durable, it is approximately 14 inches in diameter x 19 inches high with the lid.
- Features: The basket features a flat lid, cut-out handles, and stripe pattern.
- Materials: Woven from a local grass called typha (cattails) and strips of plastic. The plastic strips are from recycled old prayer mats or purchased new from a mat factory in Dakar.
- Artisan Crafted: Since every piece is handmade, the basket you receive may vary slightly from the one pictured. An informational hang tag is attached for gift giving.
Elegant and functional, Senegalese baskets can be used in any room of your home. Large hampers are excellent for storing blankets, pillows, towels, and other linens. Medium and small decorative baskets make great potato and onion bins for the kitchen pantry. Consider using them as toy boxes for your children or furry friends. They are also an attractive way to store magazines, crafts, and other items you want to keep handy.
Note: If storing delicate material, check inside for any exposed plastic ends. They can be carefully trimmed with scissors. We do not consider it a defect, but a natural part of the weaving process.
Gift Giving: If you plan to gift this item, the packaging may indicate what is inside.
About the Artisans
The coil style of basket weaving has been practiced in Senegal for generations. Traditionally, Wolof women crafted baskets by binding njodax, a thick local grass, with thin strips of palm frond. Palm fronds were difficult to work and hard on the weavers' hands. Large needles and strips of plastic are now used. This simple change in material dramatically reduced discomfort during the weaving process.
Among the Wolof, basket weaving is a woman's craft. In many rural villages across Senegal, the men of the family must work in major cities or abroad and send money to the family. This income alone is not always enough to meet the family's needs, so the women supplement it by weaving baskets. A portion of the profits goes to education, reforestation, and other community betterment projects.
This item ships UPS Ground from Oregon. Note: Due to increased demand, hamper orders now typically ship within 3-5 business days. Business days do not include public holidays or weekends. Delivery depends on destination. Street address required. We will provide a tracking number immediately upon shipment.
The estimated number of business days until delivery includes order processing and time in transit. Item availability is assumed. Estimates are not a guarantee of delivery within a specific timeframe. If your package is oversized and/or requires truck delivery, the delivery time may be extended. During the holiday shopping season, processing and delivery times may also increase.
We are always happy to be of service. However, we are not able to ship this item outside the 48 contiguous United States. If you chose to use a freight forwarder, please view our shipping policies before placing your order. If you have any questions, let us know.
We offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. We value your business and want you to be happy with your purchase. If you wish to return an item for any reason, drop us a note so we can help. We do not accept returns without prior approval. See our return policy page for complete details. For this item:
- Please contact us within 15 days after receiving product.
- Items may be exchanged for store merchandise of the same or greater value for an additional shipping charge.
- The return must be postmarked within 30 days of receipt.
- Merchandise returned for reasons other than damage is subject to a 10% re-stocking fee.