Fair trade is an approach to business and to development based on dialogue, transparency, and respect that seeks to create greater equity in the international trading system... Communities are improved; nutritional needs met; health care costs are covered; the poor, especially women, are empowered; the environmental impact of production, sourcing, and transport is mitigated to the fullest extent possible. Such an impact is created because Fair Trade approaches development as a holistic process.
Fair Trade Federation principles are adapted from the standards of the World Fair Trade Organization. They include:
- Create Opportunities for Economically and Socially Marginalized Producers
- Develop Transparent and Accountable Relationships
- Build Capacity
- Promote Fair Trade
- Pay Promptly and Fairly
- Support Safe and Empowering Working Conditions
- Ensure the Rights of Children
- Cultivate Environmental Stewardship
- Respect Cultural Identity
We encourage you to visit the Fair Trade Federation website to learn more.
Updated December 30, 2015