If we have not answered your questions below, please contact us. We are always happy to be of service.
What personal data do we collect?
- What we collect: If you decide to open an account, we will ask for your contact information. That information may include your name, address, telephone number, and email address. Any products you add to your wish list will also be associated with your account.
- How we use it: Opening an account is primarily for your benefit. It offers faster checkout, access to order status and history, and the ability to save items for later purchase. When you open an account, it gives us the ability to personalize your site experience and provide content and product offerings of interest to you.
What you can do: You do not need to create an account to place an order. If you create an account, you can cancel it at any time.
Note: When you set up an account, you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password. You are also responsible for any access or use of your account by someone who obtained your password, whether or not access or use was authorized by you.
What we collect: We collect personal information when you make a purchase, or attempt to make a purchase, through the Site. Information collected includes your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information, email address, phone number, and other details pertinent to the order. We refer to this information as "Order Information."
Gift Recipients: If you ask us to ship an item to someone else, we also collect the name and address of the gift recipient. The information we collect about gift recipients is not used for marketing purposes.
Shakespeare's Attic does not capture or maintain personal financial data (i.e. credit card number) on our servers. That information is captured by your financial institution, payment gateways, and temporarily by our eCommerce service provider while the transaction is processing.
- How we use it: We use Order Information to fulfill orders placed through the Site. This includes screening orders for potential risk or fraud, submitting payment for processing, arranging shipment, sending information and updates regarding your orders (i.e. order & shipping confirmations), processing order changes and returns, and requesting ratings and reviews of our services or products. We also maintain your personal data for administrative purposes.
- What you can do: When you place an order through the Site, you consent to our collection of your personal information. If you want to withdraw your consent, change, or delete your personal information, see "What are your rights" below. We will maintain your Order Information for our records, unless or until you ask us to delete the information. Note: The email address you provide for order processing will only be used to send information and updates pertaining to your order. We only send future information to your email, if you opt-in during checkout.
- What we collect: If you provide feedback, ask a question, or request assistance, we collect the personal information you provide.
- How we use it: We use the information you provide to respond to your inquiry. Your inquiry also helps us respond to future customer service requests more effectively.
- What you can do: Communication is initiated by you.
Newsletters & Promotions
- What we collect: When you sign up for a mailing list or respond to promotional activity initiated by Shakespeare's Attic, we will collect the personal information you provide. That information may include name, address, email, and/or telephone information. If you receive an email from us, we may use tools to let us know when you open our message, click on any links or banners it contains, and make purchases.
- How we use it: We may use your contact information to send newsletters or communicate special offers, promotions, products, or services that may be of interest to you.
What you can do: All newsletters and promotional activities require your pre-approval to participate. If you decide to unsubscribe from future emails, you can contact us or follow the instructions at the bottom of the email. We will promptly remove you from all future promotional correspondence. Shakespeare's Attic will honor unsubscribe requests within 48 hours.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to stop sending you emails, and outlines tough penalties for violations. In addition to actions noted above, Shakespeare's Attic will never use false or misleading email addresses or subject lines. You will always know you are viewing an advertisement.
Note: We will retain any transactional communications regarding your account or orders placed in response to promotional activity.
Surveys & Contests
- How we use it: Survey information will be used to improve our services, product offerings, and usability of this Site. Contact information will be used to notify contest winners and award prizes.
- What you can do: Participation is voluntary.
We may use your personal information for other communications, like security and privacy notifications, administrative changes, or other business activities not listed above.
What non-personal data do we collect?
What we collect: When you visit our Site, we automatically collect information about your device. Information collected may include your web browser, IP address, operating system, Internet service provider, referring & exit pages, date & time stamps, and geographic location.
As you browse our Site, we collect information about individual web pages or products you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and how you interact with the Site. We refer to automatically-collected information as "Device Information."
How we use it: Cookies allow us to provide a more personal, interactive experience tailored to your interests. Some cookies are necessary to use our Site. These cookies help with navigation, customer login, shopping cart, and checkout. We also use security cookies (i.e. screening for potential credit card risk and fraud), multi-media cookies, social media cookies, feedback cookies, and other user preference cookies.
We use reporting and analytics cookies to collect information about how you use our Site. These cookies compile aggregate data about Site traffic and interactions in order to offer better site experiences and tools in the future (i.e. detect the most frequently used words in search engines that lead to our Site). We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf. For example, we use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site. You can read more about how Google uses your personal information here.
What you can do: The length of time a cookie remains on your computer or mobile device depends on whether it is a persistent or session cookie. Most of the cookies we use are persistent and will expire between 30 minutes and two years from the date they are downloaded to your device.
You can take steps to limit tracking by erasing cookies from your device. You can also set your browser to block all cookies or warn you before a cookie is stored. Most browsers offer built-in tools to help you manage, control, and delete cookies. Please review your browser's documentation to learn the best way to modify your cookie settings.
Note: If you block cookies, some features on our site may not work, as noted above. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org. You can opt-out of Google Analytics here.
What we collect: We may participate in behavior-based advertising. Behavioral advertising is used by online advertisers to present targeted ads to consumers by collecting information about their browsing behavior. Advertising may appear on our Site or other websites.
Advertising cookies typically collect your IP address, your device and browser type, operating system, referring URLs, content viewed, other actions taken on the Site, time and date of those actions, and location. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit Network Advertising Initiative's ("NAI") educational page.
What you can do: You can opt-out of advertising based upon your browsing behavior from some network advertising companies by going to the Network Advertising Initiative and the Digital Advertising Alliance websites. To completely prevent advertising based upon your browsing behavior, you should also disable the cookies on your browser. You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
— Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
— Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
— Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
Do Not Track
Shakespeare's Attic supports the development and implementation of a standard "Do Not Track" browser feature that offers customers control over the collection and use of information about their web browsing activities. Since there is no consistent industry standard at this time, we currently do not alter our data collection and use practices when we detect a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
Where do we share your information?
- Service providers: We do not sell, trade, or rent your personal information. We may use service providers to help us operate our business or administer activities on our behalf.
- Order Processing: In order to fulfill orders and process related requests, we will provide your name, mailing address, and telephone number to package delivery services (i.e. FedEx and UPS). If you order a product shipped directly from another company, we will share your name, mailing address, and telephone number with the other company. These companies do not retain, share, store, or use personal information for any secondary purposes beyond filling your order.
- Public disclosures: Our Site offers the opportunity to post reviews/comments in a public forum. If you provide product feedback online, that information may become publicly available.
- Disclosures with your consent: We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties not described elsewhere in this policy. Participation is voluntary.
- Disclosures without your consent: We reserve the right to share personal information, if we determine disclosure is necessary or appropriate in the course of our business operations. We also reserve the right to share personal information when we believe it is appropriate to comply with the law or in cooperation with legal authorities, to enforce the Terms of Service governing use of this Site, or to protect the rights, property, safety, or other interests of Shakespeare's Attic, our customers, or the public.
How do we protect your information?
General Guidelines: No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
We take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure your personal information is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed. A limited number of people have access to your personal data, and they are required to keep your information confidential.
Infrastructure: Your personal data is contained behind secured networks. All personal data captured is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL) and stored with industry standard 256-bit encryption technology. Our Site is scanned on a regular basis for security holes and known vulnerabilities in order to make your visit as safe as possible.
Our eCommerce service provider is audited annually by a qualified security assessor to ensure handling of your personal information aligns with industry guidelines. They are certified as a PCI DSS Level 1 compliant service provider, which is the highest level of compliance available.
All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers. Payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council. The Council is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- Fair Information Practices Principles: FIPPs forms the backbone of privacy law in the United States. The concepts they include played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information. In order to be in line with Fair Information Practices, Shakespeare's Attic commits to notifying all customers within 48 hours via email of any breach in personal information. We may also post it on our Site.
- Individual Redress Principle: Shakespeare's Attic agrees with the Individual Redress Principle. We believe individuals have the right to legally pursue enforceable rights against data collectors and processors who fail to adhere to the law. This principle requires not only that individuals have enforceable rights against data, but also that individuals have recourse to courts or government agencies to investigate and/or prosecute non-compliance by data processors.
What are your rights?
- Your consent: By using our Site, you consent to tracking of non-personal data. When you provide us with personal information (i.e. place an order), you consent to our collection of personal information for that purpose. You retain all rights to your personal information. If we ask for your personal information for a secondary purpose (i.e. subscribing to a newsletter), we will ask you directly for your expressed consent.
- Your Right to withdraw consent: If we are processing the personal data you provided us, you can withdraw your consent at any time. Note: We rely on the processing of personal information. If you revoke your consent, we may no longer be able to provide services to you. If we are unable to adequately verify your identity, we may limit or deny your request to withdraw consent, if the law permits.
- Your Right to request access: After we collect your data, you have the right to access your personal data and any supplementary information. We will provide a description of the data, explain why we are holding it, inform you of potential disclosures, and provide a copy of the information to you in an electronic format, unless you request another format.
- Your Right to correction: You have the right to correct inaccurate or incomplete data. You can change your personal information any time by contacting us or updating your Account Profile, if you registered on our Site. If we disclosed your personal data to others, we will contact each recipient and inform them of the request. In some cases, we may not be able to accommodate you (i.e. changes to a shipped order). If there are any issues servicing your request, we will notify you immediately.
- Your Right to request erasure: You have the right to ask us to delete your personal data. If you remove your personal information completely, we will maintain historical information about sales transactions in order to service those transactions and for record keeping purposes, as permitted by law. In addition, we may keep your personal information to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes, and/or enforce our agreements. If your personal information was disclosed to a third party, we will contact them regarding your request.
- Right to request restriction of processing: You can ask us to suspend processing of your personal data where: (a) you contest the data's accuracy; or (b) processing of your data is unlawful, but you do not want us to erase it; or (c) we no longer need your data, but you need us to hold it for a legal claim; or (d) you object to our processing of your data, and we are checking whether we have legitimate grounds to override your rights. If we disclosed any of the personal data subject to the restriction to a third party, they will be notified of your request.
- Your Right to request transfer: You have the right to request transfer of your personal data to you or a third party. This right applies only to information you gave us consent to use. Data will be transferred in an electronic format, unless another format is requested.
- Your Right to object to processing: You do have the right to express any concern you have about our use of your data. We will stop processing your data, unless our legitimate interest in processing your information overrides your rights and freedoms. You also have the right to stop personal data from being included in direct marketing databases, with no exemptions or grounds for refusal. No personal information we collect is used for historical, scientific, or statistical research.
- Your Right to object to automated decision-making: You have the right to demand human intervention, rather than have important decisions made solely by algorithm. This right does not apply when the automated decision is based on your explicit consent or necessary for entering/administering a contract. For example, our automated systems flag orders for potential fraud. If an order is flagged, the person who placed the order may contact us and ask for reconsideration. Human intervention does not guarantee outcome.
How to exercise your rights: Please contact us to exercise your rights. As a security measure, we will ask you to verify your identity. If a third party is making a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act on your behalf.
We may contact you to ask you for further information to help exercise your legal rights or expedite our response. We will try to respond to requests within one month. We will let you know, if we require additional time for complicated requests. We may have an overriding lawful basis for processing your personal data or certain exemptions may apply. If we have reason to refuse your request, we will provide an explanation.
General Policy Information
- Children's Online Privacy Protection Act: Shakespeare's Attic supports the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA"). COPPA determines what websites must do to protect children's privacy and safety. Shakespeare's Attic does not specifically market to, or knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 16. No part of our Site is structured to attract anyone under 16. Our Terms of Service states you must be at least 18 years old to use our website. If you discover a child under the age of 18 is using our Site, please contact us immediately.
- Third-Party Links: "Third parties" does not include Shakespeare's Attic or brands operated by Shakespeare's Attic. This Site contains links to other websites. We are not responsible or liable for the privacy practices of other sites and encourage you to read their privacy statements. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our Site and welcome any feedback.
- Visitors Outside the United States: If you are located outside the United States, please note your information may be transferred, stored, and processed outside of your country. Privacy laws may be less stringent than the laws in your country. When you submit your personal information to Shakespeare's Attic, you are consenting to the transfer of your information to facilities located in the United States, Canada, and other locations selected by Shakespeare's Attic.
- Questions: If you believe personal information has been used in a way inconsistent with this policy, or if you have further questions or concerns related to this policy, please contact us or at Shakespeare's Attic, Privacy Compliance Officer, 95 State Street, Unit 5481, Peoria, IL 61601.
Updated May 16, 2020