The elegant design of the Blue/Silver Mercury Glass 10-Light Lily Downlight Table Lamp make this lamp a stand-out. It is 21" high x 17" in diameter. ... Read more
Glorious color! The stunning shades and elegant design of the Blue/Silver Mercury Glass 10-Light Lily Downlight Table Lamp make this lamp a total stand-out. Treat yourself or give a memorable gift to someone special. This design is also available in other colors. Check out our store to see the other lily lamps we offer. Features:
- Overall Dimensions: 21 inches high x 17 inches wide x 17 inches deep
- Light Bulbs: Requires ten (10) 15 watt Candelabra base bulbs (not included)
- Power Source: Plug in | 66-inch cord with in-line switch
- Artisan Crafted: The hand-blown mercury glass shades were crafted in India by artisans using a technique passed down through the generations. The exquisite base is 100% hand cast metal. Wipe clean with a dry, soft cloth.
Gift Giving: If you plan to gift this item, the packaging may indicate what is inside.
About Mercury Glass
Originally produced in Germany in the 1840s, mercury glass gained worldwide popularity as a low-cost alternative to real silver. Trendy again, it has a modern, classic appeal that blends with most decors. The nostalgic attraction to all things shiny and bright is especially true during the holidays. When most people think of mercury glass, they are instantly reminded of the holiday ornaments common at the turn of the 20th century.
Early mercury glass was double-walled with a liquid silvering solution between the layers. Silver nitrate and glucose were commonly used. Injected between the layers, the liquid was kept in place with a cork, glass, or metal seal. The final product was often enhanced with engraving, enamel, or paint. Oxidation occurred when the seal was broken, exposing the liquid to air.
The same silvering effect is achieved through electroplating. First invented in 1805, electroplating was widely used by the 1850s. Every piece of River of Goods' mercury glass is hand-crafted in India by world-class artisans using a five-step technique passed down since the 1800s:
- Every piece of glass is individually hand blown by an artisan.
- Graphite is applied to the glass where electroplating is desired.
- The object is submerged in a solution of dissolved metal, and an electric current is run through it.
- The glass is coated with an oil protectant. This allows it to be cleaned with water without disturbing the metal.
- Colors are hand-painted on the glass, making every piece a unique and beautiful work of art.
Cleaning Mercury Glass: Always consult a conservator, if cleaning valuable antique mercury glass. Otherwise, light surface dusting is all that is needed for most new and old mercury glass. Be sure to use a cloth that will not scratch the surface. Once dusted, grimy surfaces can be polished with lemon oil, unless the item is painted with a matte finish. Matte-painted glass should only be polished on un-painted areas. Old or new, never submerge mercury glass in water, unless approved by the manufacturer. If you have double-walled mercury glass, you run the risk of loosening the glue used to hold the seal in place and permanently damaging it. Newly painted glass is subject to erosion.
About River of Goods
Founded in 2000, River of Goods is a national leader in sourcing, designing, and developing unique lighting and home décor products at an exceptional value. Their experienced product development team travels the world for inspiration and finds unique products steeped in history, yet relevant today.
River of Goods' comprehensive suite of products includes lighting fixtures, table and floor lamps, stained glass windows, fireplace screens, and other home accents.
Dedicated to building long-lasting relationships, River of Goods is proud to be a place where making a living is enjoyable for everyone involved, including employees, artisans, vendors, customers, and shareholders.
This item ships FedEx Ground from Minnesota. Orders typically ship within 1-3 business days. Business days do not include public holidays or weekends. Delivery depends on destination. Street address required. We will provide a tracking number immediately upon shipment.
The estimated number of business days until delivery includes order processing and time in transit. Item availability is assumed. Estimates are not a guarantee of delivery within a specific timeframe. If your package is oversized and/or requires truck delivery, the delivery time may be extended. During the holiday shopping season, processing and delivery times may also increase.
We are always happy to be of service. However, we are not able to ship this item outside the 48 contiguous United States. If you chose to use a freight forwarder, please view our shipping policies before placing your order. If you have any questions, let us know.
We offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. We value your business and want you to be happy with your purchase. If you wish to return an item for any reason, drop us a note so we can help. We do not accept returns without prior approval. See our return policy page for complete details. For this item:
- Please contact us within 15 days after receiving product.
- Items may be exchanged for store merchandise for an additional shipping charge.
- All returns must be in original boxing and postmarked within 30 days of receipt.
- Merchandise returned for reasons other than damage is subject to a 10% re-stocking fee.